Phantom Coaches Hearse Club Forums: New Guy 1974 Oldsmobile C/B - Phantom Coaches Hearse Club Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New Guy 1974 Oldsmobile C/B Introduction plus a couple questions.

#1 User is offline   MBalmed Icon

• Pip
  • Group: Registered Users

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:56 AM

Hi, my name is Steve. I have a 1974 Oldsmobile C/B Ambulance and Hearse combination. First I want to give you the history on how I came across this vehicle. It started back in 2004 when I was just 13 years old. My father used to collect and restore old cars for a living. Well, we was out driving around on some roads we've never been looking for old cars when we stumbled upon what we first thought was a Cadillac. We parked and started walking though the waist high grass when my father was like "Oh, wow it's a Oldsmobile Station Wagon........No, it's a hearse" We knocked on the door and some old guy answered.the door and my father asked if it was for sale. He responded by saying.everything in the yard was for sale including the house. apparently he was moving out of state. My father asked if the car ran and I he guy handed my dad the keys and told him to pump the peddle 3 times. Well after listening to it run and driving it around the yard my father asked it it had a clear title and how much. Guy said the title was clear and hee wanted $500. We left and talked about it all the way home (1 hour drive) A week went buy and we decided to buy it. We went halves on it with intentions to restore it as a father son project. We offered the guy $375 bucks for the car and he took it. I gave my dad my half which was all the money I had saved up all summer long mowing grass to buy a new bike. This was the first commercial car we had ever owned so it was all new to us. We drove the car home from his house Memorial Day weekend in 2004. It had almost 90k miles and was all original except for some Wal-Mart hubcaps which got thrown away as soon as we got home. My father decided not to restore it and take it to car shows the wag it was an let kids set in the back and look around and educate them and during the Halloween season we did a gig at a haunted house with the hearse as a prop. We had so much fun driving that car everywhere and doing nothing to it except a tune up, gas lines, and a carb. My father passed away in 2010 when I was just 18. The car then went into dry storage for 3 years until I recently decided to bring it out and drive it and do the haunted house again. The car has 100,039 original miles on the 455. I'm not new to hearse as I've been around ours for almost 10 years but I'm new to the hearse forums. This is the first and only forum I am registered to. I have a few questions for you guys and I hope you can answer them for me. First, how rare is the Oldsmobile Hearse? I've seen a lot and noticed they are all mostly Cadillac and Lincoln. I've seen 3 Oldsmobile hearses including mine and that was only on the internet. And second, where can I go for parts. There a few things I want to replace or buy that is missing. Such as the chrome strip on the back door is missing, casket locks, funeral signs for the Windows and I want to get new landua bars cause mine are pitted. Any information would be awesome. Thanks for the invite and reading my little novel here hahaha. Steve
1974 Oldsmbile C/B Combination.

#2 User is offline   Mark V Icon

• Webspinner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • Group: Root Admin
  • Location:A richly upholstered leather wing chair, sipping absinthe before the fire, exploring the dark recesses of my mind.

Posted 29 August 2013 - 04:50 AM

Hi Steve,

Great story :thumbup:

As you may know, Cotner-Bevington (CB) was a division of the Divco-Wayne corporation. Miller-Meteor (MM) was a sister division. The CBs were built on the Oldsmobile chassis and offered as a lower cost alternative to the Cadillac based MMs. The CBs weren't as popular as the MMs and, hence, not as common. They also didn't hold their value as well as the MMs or other Cadillac based coaches implying that upon retirement from service, there wasn't much of a second-hand demand for them as there was for the Cadillac based coaches. So, they aren't as plentiful as Cadillac based pro-cars but we have a few members that own them.

When it comes to coach specific parts for your CB, they are the same as MM. You may be able to get new parts from DNR industries. What they don't have can be found on evilBay...er, I mean eBay as long as you're patient and persistent. Also, posting on hearse forums like here will help. Window name plates can be ordered directly from funeral home supply companies such Kelco or you can get club name plates from any of a number of clubs including ours.

If you were out here on the left-coast, I would encourage you to come visit us at one of our monthly meetings so you could network face-to-face with fellow hearse aficionados.

Keep on hearsin' around,
Mark
It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this. -- Bertrand Russell
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. -- Dr Seuss
I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am. -- Joseph Baretti
Humankind cannot stand very much reality. -- T. S. Eliot

#3 User is offline   MBalmed Icon

• Pip
  • Group: Registered Users

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:25 PM

Awesome Mark. I appreciate all this helpful info. I had know idea they were pretty much the same as a MM. That's pretty cool to know. And yeah, I read they where a cheap version. Yeah it may not be a 59 Ecto but hey, it's different and where I'm from, I'm one of 3 hearse that go to shows and cruises. A 71 Cadillac and a mid 80's Buick plus mine. Also thanks on help in guiding me in the right direction on searching for . I'll be glad to inform.you that you will NEVER see the hearse in the classified section. Car is Awesome and has way too much sentimental value. I would post pictures but it won't let me. (on my cell) But thanks again Steve
1974 Oldsmbile C/B Combination.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users