Phantom Coaches Hearse Club Forums: Timing Plate - Phantom Coaches Hearse Club Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Timing Plate

#1 User is offline   TroyD Icon

• Moderate User
  • PipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • Group: PCHC Members
  • Interests:Coaches, Halloween, Cooking, Gardening, Building Halloween Props, Surfing the web.

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:36 AM

It turns out that the timing was the reason it didn't pass smog. Took it to a repair station and they passed it but he said that the Timing Plate was missing. I'm not sure what that is but apparently it is attached to the water pump. I replaced the water pump last year but don't remember seeing anything. Anyone know what this is and where I can get one? Any help is appreciated.
Troy
That What Doesn't Kill You, Makes You Walk Funny.

#2 User is offline   Mark V Icon

• Webspinner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • Group: Root Admin
  • Location:A richly upholstered leather wing chair, sipping absinthe before the fire, exploring the dark recesses of my mind.

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:50 AM

The timing plate us used to adjust/set the your engine's ignition timing. Your shop manual should have details on what type of timing plate and markings your specific engine has.

Basically, there are two different timing configurations:

One is a groove or notch on the harmonic balancer that works in conjunction with the timing plate attached to the timing chain cover. The timing plate has graduations that usually read 0^^^^5^^^^10.

The other is a pointer attached to the timing chain cover and the markings are stamped onto the harmonic balencer.

You should be able to find one at a Pick-your-part or Ecology Auto Wrecking yard. If that comes up fruitless, try online sources. If worse comes to worse, you can always fabricate something that will work. The biggest difficulty is to line up the notch/mark on the balencer with the fabricated plate/pointer so that "0" is top-dead-center on the #1 cylinder.

Let me know if you need more help.

Later,
Mark
It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this. -- Bertrand Russell
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. -- Dr Seuss
I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am. -- Joseph Baretti
Humankind cannot stand very much reality. -- T. S. Eliot

#3 User is offline   TroyD Icon

• Moderate User
  • PipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • Group: PCHC Members
  • Interests:Coaches, Halloween, Cooking, Gardening, Building Halloween Props, Surfing the web.

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:09 AM

Thank you Mark, I guess I have t go to Pick A Part. I have 2 years to find one. Since I have a 368 engine (6.0L) I have to find the same.

View PostMark V, on 20 November 2012 - 05:50 AM, said:

The timing plate us used to adjust/set the your engine's ignition timing. Your shop manual should have details on what type of timing plate and markings your specific engine has.

Basically, there are two different timing configurations:

One is a groove or notch on the harmonic balancer that works in conjunction with the timing plate attached to the timing chain cover. The timing plate has graduations that usually read 0^^^^5^^^^10.

The other is a pointer attached to the timing chain cover and the markings are stamped onto the harmonic balencer.

You should be able to find one at a Pick-your-part or Ecology Auto Wrecking yard. If that comes up fruitless, try online sources. If worse comes to worse, you can always fabricate something that will work. The biggest difficulty is to line up the notch/mark on the balencer with the fabricated plate/pointer so that "0" is top-dead-center on the #1 cylinder.

Let me know if you need more help.

Later,
Mark

That What Doesn't Kill You, Makes You Walk Funny.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users