Phantom Coaches Hearse Club Forums: Ughhh...more troubles - Phantom Coaches Hearse Club Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ughhh...more troubles

#1 User is offline   MistressXavialune Icon

• Occasional User
  • PipPip
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Interests:My AIM sn is Octavia Keaton. I'll fill this out more later..

Posted 28 May 2011 - 11:33 AM

The hearse isnt even here yet and I'm having yet more troubles. Ok aside from the fact I went to the DMV yesterday to try to transfer the title, and they wouldnt let me unless I paid all the back registration fees that the previous owner neglected to pay (all 400 dollars of them)..I can't even get an insurance quote unless I tell the lady the 'value of the car'. I know what it means, but what the heck does it mean? Is there someone I can get to 'evaluate' the car, a mechanic or someone..?

I dont want it to be undervalued just because its in poor condition, because eventually I am going to restore it. So should I have them value it higher or as it is? I have no idea how to go about any of this, this is my very first time. What do you guys think?

#2 User is offline   Arlee Mahan Icon

• Hearse Affectionado
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Location:..I live uptown.. I live downtown .. l live all around
  • Interests:HURSTS

Posted 28 May 2011 - 01:01 PM

Did the seller write on the pink slip aka the title of the car ??? on the bottom of it there should be a liabilty release slip that needs to be turned in to DMV and on there will be a slot the seller writes in how much you paid for it ??? is that what the DMV asking you ?? so the DMV can tax you on the amount you paid for your car ???? which has nothing to do with the fair market value or you re- selling or the hearse when and if you need to in the future ... just how much you paid for it and the DMV wants and tax it accordingly so they can get there fees .. if that is the case you can write any amount on there that you want the seller might have left it blank for you to fill out yourself ....
so keep that in mind if this is the case. I hope this helps!

This post has been edited by Arlee Mahan: 28 May 2011 - 01:09 PM

Nurse Greenthumb
Cannabis Connoisseur
Don't Fight It
IGNITE IT!
Veni, vidi, vici
Big deal. Death always went with the territory. I'll see you in Disneyland."

#3 User is offline   MistressXavialune Icon

• Occasional User
  • PipPip

Posted 28 May 2011 - 03:56 PM

Well I paid $666.00 lol

But she actually told me about the fees. Thats why she set the price so low. But the thing is everyone I asked apparently misinformed me that I wouldnt have to pay the fees upfront. And I asked a lot of people..I wasnt able to get down to the DMV to ask before buying the car, and I could never get through to their phone line. so I go yesterday and he tells me in order to transfer the title I have to pay the fees which are almost 400 dollars.

The amount I paid for it is on there. I dont know what you mean by the liability thing. Basically I'm stuck paying the fees, but I only have till june 16th and needless to say I'm not going to be able to do it. He said the fees will accrue after that but it shouldnt be too much. Does anyone know generally how much more I will have to pay these leeches?

I guess I should have put this in a different forum, looking back. Not really garage type stuff :p

#4 User is offline   Mark V Icon

• Webspinner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • Group: Root Admin
  • Location:A richly upholstered leather wing chair, sipping absinthe before the fire, exploring the dark recesses of my mind.

Posted 29 May 2011 - 07:52 AM

It sounds like the previous owner simply let the registration lapse rather than pay the $10 or $15 bucks to have it be "non-op" -- non-operational. This happens all the time. For whatever reason (be it laziness, being too cheap, total neglect,...), people fail to do the non-op thing and registration, late & penalty fees start to accumulate at very high rates. You're only option to that is to do a "lien sale". This is a technique I've only heard of so I am not equipped to council you on that.

As for insurance, were I in your shoes, I would just get simple liability for now. Once it's running and has enough repairs done to where it's got some real value in the eyes of the insurance company, then you can upgrade or change your insurance. I understand you don't want to undervalue it but the harsh reality is insurance companies are in the business to make money, not friends. There is not selection in the computer's drop-down menu for insuring second-hand retired commercial vehicles that are privately owned. In other words, this isn't a risk they encounter on a regular basis. Insurance companies are all about playing with risk. If this seems too weird or falls too far outside their normal range of opperations then they don't want, or don't know how to deal with with it and figure it's easier on them to turn you away or make you do their homework for them. One more thing, there's no sense getting insurance until it's in drivable condition.
It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this. -- Bertrand Russell
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. -- Dr Seuss
I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am. -- Joseph Baretti
Humankind cannot stand very much reality. -- T. S. Eliot

#5 User is offline   TroyD Icon

• Moderate User
  • PipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • Group: PCHC Members
  • Interests:Coaches, Halloween, Cooking, Gardening, Building Halloween Props, Surfing the web.

Posted 29 May 2011 - 10:14 AM

I agree with Mark. Just Get Liability for now then upgrade later. As for the DMV Fees, the previous owners of mine did the same thing. Instead of filing Non-Op they let it lapse. It was over $800. I was lucky, they split it with me. Yes it was still over $400 but I guess it could have been worse. Good luck on the fees, If I can think of a way to generate fast cash, I'll let you know.
TroyD
That What Doesn't Kill You, Makes You Walk Funny.

#6 User is offline   Arlee Mahan Icon

• Hearse Affectionado
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 May 2011 - 01:49 PM

I would not only get Liability but Un -insured Motorist too ... That is all we ever had on are Hearse ... bummer about the back fees .. maybe you can do a fund raiser or a bake sale or??? just an idea ...
Nurse Greenthumb
Cannabis Connoisseur
Don't Fight It
IGNITE IT!
Veni, vidi, vici

#7 User is offline   MistressXavialune Icon

• Occasional User
  • PipPip

Posted 29 May 2011 - 06:16 PM

Yeah thanks for all the info and ideas guys. Unfortunately I'll probably have to let the registration fees and title transfer go for another coupld of weeks. I have mass amounts of student loans to pay for too and they're already late. It kind of screwed everything up having to pay the fees upfront because I had everything planned out. Oh well...adapt and learn I suppose. If I let it go a bit longer the guy said it shouldnt be too much more anyway.

I know, I wasnt going to insure it right away. I was just looking at my options. My main focus right now is just getting it down here from northern california, but I wanted to try and plan ahead a little. As for fund raising...well i dont know about that lol but we'll see. I've not really been here all that long and I dont have any friends in the area to help or organize anything like that. I'll think of something for sure though! I'll keep you guys updated. It should be here in a week now..

#8 User is offline   paulo Icon

• Pip

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:10 PM

DMV will not transfer the title in any circumstances unless all the dues are cleared, as Mark said,It is true previous owners simply lapse the registration for non-op and this is the reason why the fees will be too high. I have seen many people who are facing problem of high fees due to the negligence of their previous owner. They have no other way except paying fees to the DMV.Car wraps
P.A.U.L.O

#9 User is offline   MistressXavialune Icon

• Occasional User
  • PipPip

Posted 17 June 2011 - 03:16 AM

Fees are getting paid beginning of next week :) Thats one thing down anyway. Now if I could just get it running...

#10 User is offline   Arlee Mahan Icon

• Hearse Affectionado
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 June 2011 - 04:18 PM

Great News about the DMV YEAH!!! ... Here is an idea about getting your coach up and running... My Daughter Ashley's Boyfriend Nik White Lives in the Valley and is on Summer Break from College and LOVES to work on Cars.... and Has fix up and help paint other members Cars , Caskets , and everything in between ... you should give him a call and see what he can help you with ... If you need his contact info PLMK ... Stay Spooky -ME
Nurse Greenthumb
Cannabis Connoisseur
Don't Fight It
IGNITE IT!
Veni, vidi, vici

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users