Phantom Coaches Hearse Club Forums: '66 caddy starts, putters out after 5-10 seconds - Phantom Coaches Hearse Club Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

'66 caddy starts, putters out after 5-10 seconds

#1 User is offline   MistressXavialune Icon

• Occasional User
  • PipPip
  • Group: Registered Users
  • Interests:My AIM sn is Octavia Keaton. I'll fill this out more later..

Posted 24 May 2011 - 05:02 PM

So I bought my first ride sunday! yeah! Its a 1966 cadillac s&s. Unfortunately when I got there, we got it started and it started very strong, yet puttered out after a few seconds. The guy I bought it from reckoned it was because the cars been sitting for 4 years and had very little old gas in it, which had probably turned to muck and clogged up the fuel line. That was his guess..but I dont know. I wish I could provide more detail, but the car is still up there in san jose.

I was just wondering if by that description anyone could tell me possible things it might be, and what it might cost me (hopefully not an arm and a leg!). I don't know if it puttered out idling, or if he gave it gas. I think I remember him giving it gas, but I could be wrong. I think it puttered out in both circumstances. Anyway, any advice is greatly appreciated :)

#2 User is offline   Mark V Icon

• Webspinner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • Group: Root Admin
  • Location:A richly upholstered leather wing chair, sipping absinthe before the fire, exploring the dark recesses of my mind.

Posted 24 May 2011 - 06:23 PM

Without actually being there and gettin' my paws dirty, it's pretty much a shot in the dark.
If ya think it's just old fuel then disconnect the fuel line after the fuel pump/before the carb, fill the tank with fresh clean gas, disconnect the ignition coil then crank up the starter. Let about a gallon of fuel pour out while you're cranking the starter; be sure to collect it so you can use it later. That should flush the line and pump. Next, replace the filter; if it's stock, it will be in a little glass bowl on the top of the engine in front of the carb. Next, using spray carb cleaner, spray into the float bowl through the bowl vent, work the accelerator pump till it's dry, then repeat a few more times. Let it sit with the choke and throttle wide open for about an hour -- you're gonna need to let all that stuff evaporate. Fill the float bowl and the filter bowl with carb cleaner, reassemble everything then start it up. After you get it running, keep it at about 2000 RPM for about ten minutes; that should flush out any soluble sludge. Mind you, that won't do anything for solid precipitates.
If it's not a fuel issue then you're gonna need to get an actual mechanic that knows about older cars to come out and help you. I emphasize that you need a guy that knows about older cars, not new car guys. Those older cars don't have an IO port to plug a computer into to tell the technician what to do.

Good luck
It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this. -- Bertrand Russell
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. -- Dr Seuss
I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am. -- Joseph Baretti
Humankind cannot stand very much reality. -- T. S. Eliot

#3 User is offline   TroyD Icon

• Moderate User
  • PipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • Group: PCHC Members
  • Interests:Coaches, Halloween, Cooking, Gardening, Building Halloween Props, Surfing the web.

Posted 24 May 2011 - 06:27 PM

View PostMistressXavialune, on 24 May 2011 - 05:02 PM, said:

So I bought my first ride sunday! yeah! Its a 1966 cadillac s&s. Unfortunately when I got there, we got it started and it started very strong, yet puttered out after a few seconds. The guy I bought it from reckoned it was because the cars been sitting for 4 years and had very little old gas in it, which had probably turned to muck and clogged up the fuel line. That was his guess..but I dont know. I wish I could provide more detail, but the car is still up there in san jose.

I was just wondering if by that description anyone could tell me possible things it might be, and what it might cost me (hopefully not an arm and a leg!). I don't know if it puttered out idling, or if he gave it gas. I think I remember him giving it gas, but I could be wrong. I think it puttered out in both circumstances. Anyway, any advice is greatly appreciated :)

Mine did the same thing when I bought her. She had been sitting in a side yard for 8 years, we thought it was old bad gas too, sadly it turned out to be the fuel pump. Got a new one and now she runs strong. I think it cost me around 200.00 for parts & labor. If you know someone who can do it or you can do it yourself. I would have but didn't have time. If you have AAA Plus they can tow it for you to your mechanic or house. If you use AAA don't tell them you just bought it. Just tell them it died there. Hope this helps.
TroyD
That What Doesn't Kill You, Makes You Walk Funny.

#4 User is offline   MistressXavialune Icon

• Occasional User
  • PipPip

Posted 24 May 2011 - 07:36 PM

whooooah mark...that sounds complicated! I'm gona print that out and try to decipher it lol. I have NO mechanical know-how whatsoever, but I am hoping that when i am done with the car, I will. I will attempt to do it myself. I am assuming doing all that I will need to jack the car up. I have some jack stands but without being able to look in the storage cubby I dont know if theres an actual jack in there.

Does anyone know which haynes manual I should get? I tried looking it up on their site..I have the original owners manual and its not really specific. It says something about a section in the manual that pertains specifically to the Fleetwood Seventy-Five Sedan and Limousine. I'm honestly not sure which one it is..

#5 User is offline   Mark V Icon

• Webspinner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • Group: Root Admin
  • Location:A richly upholstered leather wing chair, sipping absinthe before the fire, exploring the dark recesses of my mind.

Posted 25 May 2011 - 05:40 AM

Hit up evilbay (er...ebay) for a 1966 Cadillac Shop Manual. A proper shop manual is the single most valuable resource for mechanical related information you will ever own. If you're in SoCal, check when the next Cross & Sons (?) outdoor car show and swap meet will be in Pomona at the LA county fairgrounds. There are a few automotive literature vendors.
It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this. -- Bertrand Russell
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. -- Dr Seuss
I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am. -- Joseph Baretti
Humankind cannot stand very much reality. -- T. S. Eliot

#6 User is offline   Paul W Icon

• Hearse Affectionado
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • Interests:music (Motley Crue, Iron Maiden, Sixx AM, L.A. Gunns, ETC, cars, motorcycles, My Irish, Scottish, English heritage, any/all macabre things dead things or goth things, European Cemetery, Cathedrals, and quietly contemplating lint in my or anyone's navel as a matter of fact!

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:14 AM

View PostMark V, on 25 May 2011 - 06:40 AM, said:

Hit up evilbay (er...ebay) for a 1966 Cadillac Shop Manual. A proper shop manual is the single most valuable resource for mechanical related information you will ever own. If you're in SoCal, check when the next Cross & Sons (?) outdoor car show and swap meet will be in Pomona at the LA county fairgrounds. There are a few automotive literature vendors.

My 2 cents.. you may have a fuel pressure problem . If its an AFB carb (common for era)AFB carbs don't need more than 5 1/2 PSI fuel pressure. It sounds like starving problem still sounds like you might have a plugged vent or possibly a collapsed fuel line. Have you tried just leaving the gas cap off or blowing a little compressed air in to the gas tank to push fuel up to the carb? It also sounds like you may need to take your tank out and wash it out to get what ever is in it out of it, or just crud in the jetts.
[url="http://www.myspace.com/thegalwayhookerband"]My link[/url]
[url="http://www.thegalwayhookerband.com"]My link[/url]
[url="http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...?id=1156825359"]My link[/url]
[url="http://www.myspace.com/mr_sir_loin_of_beef"]My link[/url]
[url="http://twitter.com/#!/GalwayHookerBnd"]My link[/url]

#7 User is offline   MistressXavialune Icon

• Occasional User
  • PipPip

Posted 25 May 2011 - 09:12 AM

It could be all of those things. Since I'm a total n00b when it comes to cars, I hav no idea how to look for any of those things. I will try my best though when the car gets down here. I have been looking at a car shop repair manual though, on cd rom. I am looking at these:

http://www.repairman...five-limousine/

Is this what I should get?

#8 User is offline   m davis Icon

• Hearse Affectionado
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:all things mechanical.

Posted 25 May 2011 - 07:34 PM

http://shop.ebay.com...-All-Categories

I have this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/...re#ht_780wt_862
Don't confront me with my failures
I had not forgotten them (J Browne)

#9 User is offline   fifthrider Icon

• Moderate User
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 May 2011 - 05:56 AM

+1 to everything mark V said. I'd probably add to that to look around the edge of the carburetor for any obvious leaks. I don't mean trace amounts of seepage, I mean cascading fuel bubbling out of the edge. You don't have to be a car guy to notice this, it would be an obvious error any noob would detect pretty obviously. My car shared the same symptoms as you described on the day the carburetor's gasket gave way. Sitting for a while could have dried out that gasket. Now that it's being started the fuel comes up long enough to let it run for a few then die. The end result is still the same, you'll need a mechanic but at least you'll have a better idea of the cause.

Another +1 re: getting the shop manual. Never trust those Haynes or
Chilton's. They're good doorstops at best.

#10 User is offline   MistressXavialune Icon

• Occasional User
  • PipPip

Posted 26 May 2011 - 11:52 AM

Alright cool...I'll get one of those.

When it gets here I'll let you guys know how I get on with it. I'll check all that stuff myself, and if non of that works, I'll have someone come look at it for me. Either way we'll know soon whats up!

#11 User is offline   paulo Icon

• Pip

Posted 14 June 2011 - 06:32 PM

MistressXavialune it is difficult to find out the exact problem exist in it with the explanation provided by you. Normally people think that if the car is sitting for 3-4 years idle it will be a problem of old gas but always you can’t supposed to say that, in certain circumstances there will be the problem of old gas. According to me it is better to approach mechanic, since you don’t have much knowledge of it.Car wraps
P.A.U.L.O

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users