Phantom Coaches Hearse Club Forums: 59/60 wheel lug studs - Phantom Coaches Hearse Club Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

59/60 wheel lug studs

#1 User is offline   RickyT Icon

• Occasional User
  • PipPip
  • Group: Registered Users

Posted 28 April 2011 - 11:44 PM

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a source for 59/60 Commercial Chassis lug studs. Most of the studs on my rear wheels were stripped or damaged and need replacing, none of the brake shops here have a match for them. Anyone know a place that sells them?

Posted Image

#2 User is offline   Randy B Icon

• Grave Robber
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:The Dark Side

Posted 30 April 2011 - 10:27 PM

View PostRickyT, on 29 April 2011 - 12:44 AM, said:

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a source for 59/60 Commercial Chassis lug studs. Most of the studs on my rear wheels were stripped or damaged and need replacing, none of the brake shops here have a match for them. Anyone know a place that sells them?

Posted Image

Sounds familiar - I need some for my '60 (all rear were RH threads) - I am working to commission a run of them ..... if it pans out I shall be your crack dealer!

Weird thing - Commercial Chassis was a strange beast - the '59 had left hand threads on the left wheel..... that changed in 1960.

Thor

#3 User is offline   fifthrider Icon

• Moderate User
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 May 2011 - 10:19 AM

Glad you beat me to it. When swapping tires between Sean's '59 and mine we made that same discovery; L and R threads. Weird. At the age of our car, these are wearable and we should probably get some too.

#4 User is offline   RickyT Icon

• Occasional User
  • PipPip

Posted 05 May 2011 - 07:06 PM

Keep me posted, mate. I went to a few truck parts places today, and it's not looking promising.

I also sent an email to Hoppers Stoppers who stock a lot of new brake parts for vintage/classic cars to see if they'd be able to manufacture some, or if they know of someone who could.

#5 User is offline   RickyT Icon

• Occasional User
  • PipPip

Posted 26 May 2011 - 07:22 PM

I've got an update on my wheel stud quest.

A machining company in Sydney is manufacturing a new set for me at a cost of $21.50 ea. Same dimensions as the originals but with a common M12 1.50p thread for ease of replacing the wheel nuts. None of the wheel nuts on my drums were standard anyway, and all studs are being replaced, so I don't have to worry about miss-matched threads and nuts.

Finally after nearly 5 months I might be able to put the wheels back on my car! Well soon anyway.

#6 User is offline   paulo Icon

• Pip

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:09 PM

Ricky, you are really lucky to have that studs, because now you cannot find them in the market since the manufacturing of such type of stud has been stopped. I have seen many people who are searching for this type of studs but they are unable to find proper place; it would be helpful to many of us if you share the name and address of the manufacturing company in Sydney, Since people are not worried about the cost charged by the company.Car wraps
P.A.U.L.O

#7 User is offline   RickyT Icon

• Occasional User
  • PipPip

Posted 16 June 2011 - 05:44 AM

No worries. I paid up today, so the studs should be here early next week. If they are suitable (they better be!) I'll post some photos and contact details for the company that made them.

#8 User is offline   Randy B Icon

• Grave Robber
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:40 PM

View PostRickyT, on 16 June 2011 - 06:44 AM, said:

No worries. I paid up today, so the studs should be here early next week. If they are suitable (they better be!) I'll post some photos and contact details for the company that made them.

Great job! I have run into a brick wall on all the manufacturers contacted about making new studs.

Look forward to your posts,

Thor

#9 User is offline   fifthrider Icon

• Moderate User
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 June 2011 - 09:03 AM

Congrats Ricky. I think you just blazed some new ground here.

#10 User is offline   RickyT Icon

• Occasional User
  • PipPip

Posted 20 June 2011 - 07:13 PM

Posted Image

Comparing the new stud to the old stud (old stud is on top)

Posted Image

New stud with new nut. M12 1.5 thread. For you guys I'd probably recommend requesting they make the studs in 1/2" with 20TPI just in case you can't get metric.

If you likey, here are the details. Just mention you want the same studs that Rick Haslewood got (ref invoice # 29869).

Alastair Naude

Les A Brown Pty Limited
13 Brompton Street
Marrickville. NSW 2204
Australia
Phone: +612-95696022
Fax: +612-95694370
E-mail: sales@lesabrown.com.au
Web: www.lesabrown.com.au

Bear in mind these studs are for a 1960 Caddy, I can't gaurantee with all certainty that '59s are the same because I haven't seen one to compare them with.

#11 User is offline   Randy B Icon

• Grave Robber
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 June 2011 - 06:23 PM

View PostRickyT, on 20 June 2011 - 08:13 PM, said:

Comparing the new stud to the old stud (old stud is on top)

New stud with new nut. M12 1.5 thread. For you guys I'd probably recommend requesting they make the studs in 1/2" with 20TPI just in case you can't get metric.

Bear in mind these studs are for a 1960 Caddy, I can't gaurantee with all certainty that '59s are the same because I haven't seen one to compare them with.

Freakin' SWEET! Thanks for posting this!

Thor

#12 User is offline   fifthrider Icon

• Moderate User
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:50 AM

Very cool. Thanks for posting. I think a lot of us are going to need this and are more than willing to pay whatever the shipping charge is.

#13 User is offline   cupcake Icon

• Occasional User
  • PipPip

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:27 PM

True that older cars had LH threads on one side and RH threads on the other. And today evertyhing is RH so it obviously works just fine. So if you replacing them bang out all the LH ones and throw them away.

#14 User is offline   RickyT Icon

• Occasional User
  • PipPip

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:41 PM

I'm pretty sure the '59s were LH thread. 60 is RH. Can't be certain if the 59 studs are exactly the same dimensions though.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users