Phantom Coaches Hearse Club Forums: Progression of a '60 Miller Meteor - Phantom Coaches Hearse Club Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Progression of a '60 Miller Meteor My 60 MM Ecto-1 project

#1 User is offline   RickyT Icon

• Occasional User
  • PipPip
  • Group: Registered Users

Posted 05 January 2011 - 06:46 PM

Pretend this is like a family slide show. This is my '60's round-the-world adventure.

Here it is in sunny Mexico...
Posted Image

These seats would be perfect for drive-by shooters...
Posted Image

Here she is saying "adios, Amigos" to Mexico...
Posted Image

...And hello USA. It looks a lot greener here in Washington State.
Posted Image

Some months pass, usatoaus.com does a lot of cleaning and packing before sending it off by sea to Australia

She arrives in Australia to an unfriendly welcome by Australian Quarantine Service, is forced to remove all trim, carpet, and plywood and undergo expensive re-cleaning before they are satisfied

Finally, a champion called Wayne the Towtruck Driver rescues her from Quarantine Hell and delivers her to me! Happy birthday to me.
Posted Image

All my parts are still there, awesome.
Posted Image

No carpet makes it look a lot rustier
Posted Image

I figure the floor is as good a place to start as any, so here it is after many hours of sanding, cleaning and rust-proofing. Some sections still need to be replaced.
Posted Image

And here she is trying on an Ecto-1 roof rack.
Posted Image

Merry Christmas :-)
Posted Image

Lots more work to do, so I'd better get back out there and hop to it. I hope you've enjoyed the presentation :-)

Ricky T

#2 User is offline   Arlee Mahan Icon

• Hearse Affectionado
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Location:..I live uptown.. I live downtown .. l live all around
  • Interests:HURSTS

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:38 AM

WOW what a GREAT adventure :unworthy: she went on and what a GREAT Birthday present :thumbup: ... LOVE the pictures ... PLEASE keep us posted on her progress and always Have fun with your new ride :thumbsup: Stay Spooky - ME
Nurse Greenthumb
Cannabis Connoisseur
Don't Fight It
IGNITE IT!
Veni, vidi, vici
Big deal. Death always went with the territory. I'll see you in Disneyland."

#3 User is offline   Mark V Icon

• Webspinner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • Group: Root Admin
  • Location:A richly upholstered leather wing chair, sipping absinthe before the fire, exploring the dark recesses of my mind.

Posted 06 January 2011 - 09:54 AM

I see, thanks for all the photos. Your attendant's seats are jump-seats. They fold down onto the floor. That car isn't an ambulance, it's a combination hearse-ambulance. The purpose of the fold-down seats is to convert the coach to a hearse.
It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this. -- Bertrand Russell
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. -- Dr Seuss
I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am. -- Joseph Baretti
Humankind cannot stand very much reality. -- T. S. Eliot

#4 User is offline   TroyD Icon

• Moderate User
  • PipPipPip
  • View gallery
  • Group: PCHC Members
  • Interests:Coaches, Halloween, Cooking, Gardening, Building Halloween Props, Surfing the web.

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:20 PM

Hey Rickey,

Nice job so far. I have some sanding and rust proofing to do myself soon. What product did you use? I'm looking at a couple different ones. The roof rack looks sweet.

TroyD
That What Doesn't Kill You, Makes You Walk Funny.

#5 User is offline   fifthrider Icon

• Moderate User
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 January 2011 - 12:12 PM

View PostRickyT, on 05 January 2011 - 06:46 PM, said:

No carpet makes it look a lot rustier

Er, uh, that gaping hole under the driver's seat does that pretty well, too. I don't think I've ever seen that one of your car before. Wow.

I always wondered how that section seemed to rust away so much more than the rest of the floor and then I saw the cause in action. It's been raining in so-cal on and off for the last month. Last weekend up at Sean's we found his M&M combo filled those seat buckets up because of a poor weatherseal. It had to be bailed it out again. Good thing you have that replacement coming.

My own looked fine on initial inspection, then one day we did an underbody wash and we found some of the sections of our floorpan are just cardboard with fiberglass over it. Damn! With all that dirt it sure looked solid and of course when we knocked on it our knuckles always hit metal so that part wasn't seen. There's nothing quite as sure as welding it in fresh and painting some POR-15 over it. Good job.

#6 User is offline   RickyT Icon

• Occasional User
  • PipPip

Posted 08 January 2011 - 08:26 PM

View PostTroyD, on 07 January 2011 - 01:20 PM, said:

Hey Rickey,

Nice job so far. I have some sanding and rust proofing to do myself soon. What product did you use? I'm looking at a couple different ones. The roof rack looks sweet.

TroyD

First I used 60 and 80 grit flapper wheels on an angle grinder to get rid of 50 years worth of crud and surface rust, then I used KBS 3-step products to clean, prep and paint. http://www.kbs-coatings.com.au/. The flapper wheels make short work of cleaning off crud without damaging the steel, so if you're planning on re-sealing your floors I highly recommend using them.

Yeah Fifth those sections behind the front seat are just huge water traps. The rusted steel you see there is not the original floor. Obviously the floor had rusted away sometime in the past and one of the previous owners welded in a new panel. Well all the new steel they've welded in has rotted away since then, too. So I guess this will be the 2nd time (at least) that the floor panels have been replaced in the car's history.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users