Phantom Coaches Hearse Club Forums: My 1959 Superior Ecto-1 - Phantom Coaches Hearse Club Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My 1959 Superior Ecto-1 for Clarence Williams :-)

#1 User is offline   fifthrider Icon

• Moderate User
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Registered Users

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:45 AM

My project took me 5 years, 2 cars, moving to a different house just to have a place to work on the project, and an amount of effort and money I don't even want to go into. It's done. The last 3 months have been rather stressful because the house we rent was just foreclosed on by the bank. With 90 days to move out and another year's worth of work, I pretty much had to spend all waking ( and non-work ) hours on the car. There were a few days of nervous breakdowns, unable to keep food down and other unpleasantries I won't go into. Let's just say that if your determination outweighs every other factor in the equation, you can move mountains if you choose to do so. We have 4 days left to move out of the house AND the car was completed last week in time for Comic-Con.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 User is offline   fifthrider Icon

• Moderate User
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:46 AM

Someday, if anyone's interested, I'll post video of the thing in motion. .....and it does move. The entire rack folds up and down with linear actuators that raise/lower the equipment up there. The gun rotates either by a control on the dash or a remote in my pocket. ( Kind of fun to point the guns at someone remotely when you ask them to stop touching your car. )

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm still working on installing the green underbody LEDs and the smoke generator.

We had a good run at Comic-Con Wed-Fri. About 4pm on the Friday of Con the carburetor crapped out and we rolled to a halt. I wasn't pissed, actually I sort of expected it. We all knew it was going to fail eventually. After working 'round the clock on this thing with limited sleep for months, it was one of two issues left that we simply didn't have time for. ( Fixing 998 out of 1000 ain't bad! )

Unfortunately the tow truck driver who showed up didn't listen very well when I said I wanted a FLATBED truck. He swore he'd just move the car out of the lane of traffic but once he felt confident about hauling the load he just took off in traffic with it. We followed him for 2 miles and to his credit he ALMOST made it to the destination.

.....until he took a corner. He never strapped the car's wheels down. He went right, the car fell onto his fork-tail rack and then rolled off into the ditch. Five years and an amount of money I don't EVEN want to discuss and there it goes. For that matter he should never be towing a car like this even if it is in neutral. It needs a running engine to pump transmission fluid into the tranny otherwise it will overheat and break while being towed. Chances are he's cooked the tranny as well.

Well, there's always Con 2011.

#3 User is offline   Arlee Mahan Icon

• Hearse Affectionado
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Location:..I live uptown.. I live downtown .. l live all around
  • Interests:HURSTS

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:06 AM

Sorry to hear about the unexpected move and some of the crappy things that have happen to ya .... but all i can say is WOW you Car is AWESOME and you did a GREAT job..... ENJOY ECTO and PLEASE come out to a meeting some time soon...i would love to see you car in Person and i know my WEEKEND KID aka Nik White would LOVE to see ECTO tooo... maybe NIK would bring his Ghost Busters custom Beach Cruiser Bike for you to check out ....... Take care and keep on doin what ya Love and PLEASE post that video soon - ME XOXO
Nurse Greenthumb
Cannabis Connoisseur
Don't Fight It
IGNITE IT!
Veni, vidi, vici
Big deal. Death always went with the territory. I'll see you in Disneyland."

#4 User is offline   m davis Icon

• Hearse Affectionado
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:all things mechanical.

Posted 28 July 2010 - 05:26 PM

That is absolutely nerdtastic, :thumbsup: and I mean that in the best of ways. You sound as if your taking the problem with the tow truck driver far better than I would have. I wish you the best in the repairs.
Don't confront me with my failures
I had not forgotten them (J Browne)

#5 User is offline   fifthrider Icon

• Moderate User
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:57 PM

Thanks guys. I appreciate it.

Taking it well? Hmmm,... I'm not blowing up yelling but trust me I'm pissed. The driver's fender is a goner and maybe the passenger as well. Hopefully I can salvage the "flags" from the fenders. It's in the hands of the insurance company.

Funny thing is, I talk to other hearse owners and I hear similar stories. One dude I spoke to yesterday said he had a '73 hearse and he wanted flatbed only but the moron from the tow company lifted it with a hooktail anyways and bent the quarter panels and ripped off the bumper. I mean.... Wow. Maybe we need a separate thread for "idiots who have towed hearses."?

#6 User is offline   Nik White Icon

• Hearse Affectionado
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Ashley Mahan, Halloween, originality

Posted 29 July 2010 - 02:23 PM

Cars lookin sweeeeet!!!! lets see the video!
heres a preview of Ghostbuster bike, its nowhere near as fun as an Ecto but its cheaper on gas... BUT, i have to pedal my ass to and fro.
Posted Image
i need one of those proton packs!
I was what you are. You can become what I am.

#7 User is offline   fifthrider Icon

• Moderate User
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 July 2010 - 09:29 AM

LOL. Nice. It's like Pee-Wee meets Ghostbuters. I love it.

#8 User is offline   Martin S Icon

• Moderate User
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Hearses and classic cars and Movie props/Horror movies

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:12 AM

You have to bring Ecto-1 out to one of our meetings!! That is awesome.

Martin

#9 User is offline   fifthrider Icon

• Moderate User
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 September 2010 - 12:10 PM

Tomorrow night I'm driving the Ecto up to L.A., picking up an animator from Dreamworks, an animator from Cartoon Network, and Ernie "Winston Zeddemore" Hudson from their respective residences and heading to a special event. All are invited, admission is free and parking is a joke.

“The 3G Show” by The Autumn Society
Opening reception Friday, Sept 3rd 2010, 7-10pm
Gallery 1988
7020 Melrose Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90038

An example of the artwork on display.
3G Autumn Society at Gallery 1988

It's a great neighborhood. Storefront doorways double as urinals. Bring a knife.

#10 User is offline   fifthrider Icon

• Moderate User
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 September 2010 - 09:45 PM

Sorry I never got to meet any of you but we had a good time anyhow.

We picked Ernie up at his house and drove him to the event.

#11 User is offline   Nik White Icon

• Hearse Affectionado
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Ashley Mahan, Halloween, originality

Posted 06 September 2010 - 10:40 PM

WHY DIDN'T I READ THIS SOONER, I WAS FREE AND WOULD HAVE LOVED TO GO SEE YOUR CAR, AND ERNIE!!!!!!!!!

I could have brought Ghostbuster bike too!
I was what you are. You can become what I am.

#12 User is offline   fifthrider Icon

• Moderate User
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 September 2010 - 12:30 PM

We're on Whitney Matheson's USA Today blog.

Wheee!!!

Nerd stuff

Very sorry Nik. I would have posted earlier if I had known. A day in advance is about as much time as I had. :-( I'll let you know for next time. ( I'm pretty sure we'll be back in the area on October 30th, just a mile away from where this place was, but that's some private party of Seth Green's so I'm not sure that I'm cool to go inviting others into it with us. )

#13 User is offline   m davis Icon

• Hearse Affectionado
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:all things mechanical.

Posted 09 September 2010 - 04:43 PM

That's way too cool :unworthy:
Don't confront me with my failures
I had not forgotten them (J Browne)

#14 User is offline   fifthrider Icon

• Moderate User
  • PipPipPip